Suicidal ideation is a term that refers to an individual having thoughts of wanting to end his or her own life. Often, suicidal ideation is a symptom of underlying mental illnesses such as depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, personality disorders, and other serious mental health concerns. Because suicidal ideation often points to an underlying disorder, it is a serious symptom and should be addressed with prompt and effective treatment by a team of clinical professionals.
At Crestwyn Behavioral Health in Memphis, Tennessee, our team of caring professionals understands the struggle that accompanies suicidal ideation. We have decades of combined experience helping people learn to safely manage suicidal ideation and underlying mental health disorders, allowing individuals with these struggles to live life to its fullest potential.
Helping a Loved One or Family Member Get Treatment
It can be frightening and confusing to learn that a loved one is thinking about suicide. However, the fact that you know about his or her suicidal ideation is the first step in helping your loved one. With suicidal ideation, it is always best to err on the side of caution, so seek help from a trained professional as soon as possible. Consider also taking the following action:
- Do not assume that your loved one will be fine without help. Consult with a mental health professional as soon as you can.
- It can be helpful to know more about your loved one’s suicidal ideation. When mental health professionals assess for suicide risk, they look at ideation, plan, intent, and In other words, is a person thinking about suicide? Does a person have a clear plan to commit suicide? Does he or she intend to follow through on that plan? Does the person have the means to carry out his or her plan? It is not your job to know the answers to these questions — leave that to a qualified mental health professional — but it can be helpful to know what to look for.
- Take care of yourself. You will be of little help to your loved one if you are too drained to do anything, so pay attention to your eating, sleeping, and exercise habits and make time for hobbies. Call on the support of family and friends and consider joining a support group or beginning individual therapy.
- Seek to understand your loved one’s suicidal ideation and how to best respond to suicidal ideation by reading reputable websites and books and consulting with treatment professionals.
- If your loved one is not in immediate crisis, research options for treatment, find treatment centers that treat suicidal ideation and underlying mental health disorders, and make a short list of a few centers that may be a good fit for your loved one.
- Talk openly with your loved one about your observations and concerns. Make sure your loved one knows that you want to support him or her, remind him or her that help is available, and encourage him or her to seek treatment. Be sure to emphasize the point to your loved one that there is still hope.
- When your loved one decides to enter treatment, help him or her by assisting with logistics. This can include anything from setting up appointments with treatment center staff to arranging transportation to simply cooking meals. Be an active part of easing your loved one’s transition into treatment.
- During your loved one’s time in treatment, be an active and present source of support and take advantage of any family programming and psychoeducation that your loved one’s treatment center may offer.
Why Consider Treatment at Crestwyn Behavioral Health in Memphis, Tennessee
Suicidal ideation is typically an indicator of underlying mental illness, so if it is ignored, one’s underlying mental illness may grow more severe and may have increasingly damaging effects on his or her life. Suicidal ideation can interfere with concentration and motivation, impairing a person’s work performance and causing demotion, job loss, or long-term unemployment, all of which can increase the severity of a person’s suicidal thoughts. In addition, suicidal ideation can interfere with a person’s relationships, leaving him or her isolated and without support. Naturally, the greatest risk of suicidal ideation is death as a result of a person carrying out a suicide attempt, but failed suicide attempts can also result in brain damage, serious injury, or paralysis. Although the consequences of suicidal ideation can be life-threatening, suicidal thoughts are often very treatable, and many people with suicidal ideation are able to heal with prompt, professional care at a dedicated treatment center.
Types of Treatment Offered at Crestwyn Behavioral Health
Conveniently located in the Memphis suburb of Germantown in Tennessee, Crestwyn Behavioral Health is a pioneering provider of mental health and substance abuse treatment. Designed specifically for men and women aged 18 and older and adolescents between the ages of 12 and 17, this hospital supplies exemplary acute care that incorporates the latest behavioral health practices. Given its serene environment that overlooks a tranquil cove engulfed in luscious landscaping, our mental health rehab center is where healing and recovery can truly be achieved.
In choosing our psychiatric rehab center as the place to receive mental health and substance abuse treatment, patients, both young and old, can benefit from state-of-the-art amenities that include idyllic courtyards and a large gymnasium for recreation. Additionally, the dedicated professionals who administer care treat patients with a high regard for their individual healing and recovery journeys. Board-certified psychiatrists, counselors, social workers, activity therapists, and nurses work closely with patients to offer support and to determine which interventions will garner the most favorable treatment outcomes. These same staff members possess specialized training, including training in Question, Persuade, and Refer (QPR), Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), and Assessing and Managing Suicide Risk (AMSR), so that they are equipped to care for any and all concerns that patients may require treatment for.
Upon admission to this high quality hospital, those who are in need of care to manage suicidal ideation and underlying mental health disorders will receive fully customized treatment plans that can include the following methods of care as part of their comprehensive treatment experience at our mental health rehab center:
Detoxification: If an individual comes to our psychiatric rehab center suffering from suicidal ideation and a chemical dependency problem, he or she will be able to receive top notch detoxification services at our hospital. These services allow patients to have the toxic substances that they are addicted to cleared from their systems so that they are able to focus on other aspects of their care. The expertly trained members of our medical staff supervise this type of treatment and are steadfast in their dedication to preserving the health and safety of those entrusted into our care.
Medication management: For some, the symptoms of suicidal ideation and underlying mental health disorders may necessitate pharmaceutical intervention in order to alleviate strife that cannot otherwise be alleviated when an individual’s coping skills are inadequate. When this is the case, and a patient comes to us for treatment, medication management services may be incorporated into the individual’s personalized treatment plan. Our exemplary psychiatrists are able to assess the need for psychotropic medication, can prescribe medication, and can meet with patients daily when necessary. Additionally, our compassionate team of nurse practitioners and nurses aid in the administration of any medications that are prescribed.
Individual therapy: So as to afford patients with the opportunity to openly process their feelings, experiences, and emotions in a safe, confidential environment, our mental health rehab center offers individual therapy sessions to those who choose to heal and recover at our hospital. During these sessions, which are held daily or on an as-needed basis, patients can discuss their progress with their assigned primary counselor as they learn to manage the symptoms of suicidal ideation and underlying mental health disorders.
Group therapy: When suffering from the unmanaged symptoms of suicidal ideation and mental illness, many individuals often feel as though they are alone in their struggles. For this reason, we, at Crestwyn Behavioral Health, are pleased to provide group therapy opportunities at our hospital. Held daily and led by counselors, nurses, and mental health technicians, various community, psychoeducation, and 12-Step recovery groups are offered to all patients. These sessions allows patients to come together, share their experiences, provide and receive support, practice skills they are learning, and discuss the following topics in a setting that is safe and conducive to healing and recovery:
- Suicide prevention
- Healthy relationships
- Anger management
- Treatment options
- Recovery skills
- Medication support
Family therapy: Mental health symptoms, including suicidal ideation, have the ability to impact the lives of those closest to the individuals who are grappling with such concerns. Given this fact, treatment at our mental health rehab center features family therapy sessions for those who come for care. Depending on the patient’s individual needs and the patient’s loved ones’ ability to get to our hospital, these sessions can be part of a person’s healing experience at our psychiatric rehab center. We purposefully offer these sessions so that healing can begin within our patients’ primary support networks and so that the friends and family members of those we treat can learn how to best support the person they care about.
Every facet of care at our mental health rehab center is customized to meet the needs of those who come for treatment. Additionally, and because we want to fully prepare our patients for returning to their respective communities, we plan for their discharge from the moment they begin receiving services. Our staff works closely with patients, and their families when necessary, to determine the continuing care options that will enable the men, women, and adolescents we treat to achieve optimal healing and recovery from suicidal ideation and underlying mental health disorders.
If you or an important person in your life is in need of exceptional treatment to manage the symptoms of suicidal ideation, improve the quality of life, and prevent further need for hospitalization, look no further than Crestwyn Behavioral Health in Memphis, Tennessee. Here, people of all ages are able to develop the confidence and skills needed to live healthier, more productive, and more satisfying lives that are no longer compromised by mental health and substance use concerns.
Call us today and let our caring intake team help you or your loved one determine if our mental health rehab center is where a brighter tomorrow can happen.